Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Weekenders

 Well, yesterday I should have updated you with the weekend, but I didn't get the chance to. On Thursday my wonderful mom came into town. She has meetings here on the weekends for LCU quite a bit, which is nice for me because she comes and stays with me. I am thankful for the time I get to spend with my mom!!

After her meeting on Friday, we went to look for furniture upon my awesome daddy's request. We were in search of a head board and dresser, and I found them both. Plus I got a bonus entertainment center (not pictured) to match!

Dresser
The color looks a little distorted because I took these on a phone, but it is dark mahogany brown with some floral print on the top drawers. There is a pretty nice sized nick in the front that you can see so I got the dresser for 74% off. Now I get to have a little project of fixing that area.


Headboard
This shows the color a little better!


After a long day of shopping we went to Texas Land and Cattle. I love to eat steak! It is the BEST! Plus there is a great deal 2 meals for $25.

On early Saturday morning, the alumni team flew to Houston for an alumni event at the Astro's game! Our event coordinator did an excellent job preparing for this event, despite the hiccups and unexpected bumps along the way. We definitely had to practice flexibility and improvisation.

We all got a chance to reconnect and have some good times with people we do not get to see on a regular basis, and of course, I enjoyed a coke and some popcorn (a pretty regular gametime treat for me).


Back of the field with the cityscape in the background! Oh, and the Astro's won... I would like to think that we were good luck for them!


After tear down and load up from the big event, Katy, her aunt (who let us stay for the weekend -she's great!), and I took a trip to Taco Cabana. Also, one of the best places to eat. Unfortunately, we do not have one in Lubbock so if I am ever in a place that has one, you better believe that is where I want to eat! I will have my regular -two bean and cheese breakfast tacos with some salsa ranch to top it off! Yummy!!!



The next day I had a bit of a whirlwind adventure. I tried to get up and leave Katy's aunt's house with enough time to get to the airport, fill up the rental car and turn it in, and go through security and make it to the gate on time. Whew!! I left 2 hours prior to the time of my flight leaving, which would normally be over planning my victory. I like to get to places early, and the airport is an extreme example. I have missed one flight before in my life, and I vowed to never do that again.

So like I said, I left early, put the destination in my phone maps and began my trip to the airport. As I was driving, I ended up in downtown Houston at the Hobby Performing Arts Center instead of the Houston Hobby Airport. GPS on the iPhone completely failed me. By this time it was 1:00. (Remember, my flight is to leave at 2:00). So of course, I was freaking out. I could feel my hands start shaking as I pulled over to try to recalculate my directions. Meanwhile, downtown Houston was buzzing around me -I was petrified. But this was no time for me to have a breakdown. I had to just suck it up and take care of business. 

I got the right directions in my GPS and began on the now 20 minute travel to the airport. Once I arrived at the gas station to fill up my car it was 1:20. I quickly dropped off my rental car, got on the bus and was on my way to the airport.

Now, I know you do this too because I've seen people do it, but I made sure I had my license ready and my phone in my hand before I got off the bus. But I didn't have my phone. It was gone!!! Then I thought, the only place it could be is in the dang rental car!

So.... The sweet bus driver took me back to the rental car place, and sure enough...there it was. By this time I had pretty much come to terms with the fact that I was most likely going to miss my flight. I wanted to cry!
But again, this was no time for a break down!

I ran in, printed off my boarding pass, and went through security. By the way, I would like to give a special shout out to the Houston Hobby TSA! They are good!!!

After frantically power walking through the airport, I made it to Gate 48 at 1:47. God is good, because I know that He is the only reason I made it on the plane in time for departure.
It seems like that completely helpless feeling helps us to remember that God is in control and that we can trust in the Lord's faithfulness to see us through. 

1 comment:

  1. hey whit! I read your whole blog! It is awesome! I really like the blog head design and the name too! I get it...the short report...love the dual meaning. Man you did have a busy weekend! I really like all the pics. I love that headboard and dresser...and 74% off!!! That's sick! In fact you're whole blog is sick!

    Looking forward to reading future posts.

    Kk

    ReplyDelete